Thursday, May 26, 2011

How do you jumpstart a scene?

In regard to plot stagnation, Raymond Chandler famously said, "When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand."

TV Tropes has a lot of fun discussing what they've dubbed "Chandler's Law," and comparing it to parallel plot devices in TV, comics, films and video games.  I've heard that NaNoWriMo participants often run out of steam during the second week, and have to rely on quick, sometimes outrageous plot devises to keep their "writer's high" (and word count) going. The only time I attempted NaNo, I didn't even make it through the first week, so I'm not exactly an expert.

When your story doesn't seem to want to move forward, how do you jumpstart it? Have you ever used the same fix twice? Did it work?

5 comments:

  1. Besides whining and moping you mean? After that, I usually look at my characters and try to do in-depth character sketches (if I haven't already). Usually, I can find something in their past that can propel them forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing character sketches is a great idea. It's tough to convince myself to do it, but then I'm always glad I did. You'd think I'd learn each time to just start out that way, but nope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My critique group leader says that not only should your protag be headed down a river without a paddle, she should be headed for a waterfall, with natives shooting darts at her, and a crocodile climbing into the boat. Conflict, conflict! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kara, I LOVE that advice. A great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the middle of pulling my hair out over the beginning of my WIP right now. The tension is awesome starting on page 50, but I need for people to care enough to GET THERE, lol

    ReplyDelete