Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"How big the world is!" the ducklings said.

"The Ugly Duckling" by Hans Christian Anderson is one of my favorite kids' stories. As I'm sure you remember, the poor duckling is an outcast who spends a miserable winter alone, fending off the bitter weather and the other animals' cruelty and scorn.

But eventually... "He now felt glad at having suffered sorrow and trouble, because it enabled him to enjoy so much better all the pleasure and happiness around him..."

I always thought that was a great lesson, because how can we know what it means to be happy unless we've also experienced unhappiness?

For those writers who are querying agents, out on submission, or just plugging away at a third or fourth draft, do you think years of hard work and uncertain toil will make success all the sweeter, or do you wish fortune would shine on you now?

6 comments:

  1. ahh yes, I try to always remind myself when I'm down that without these valleys, the mountaintop won't feel so incredible. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...took me ten years just to get the first one ready to spread its wings. Now it's signed and what am I doing? Still editing...but we're getting there:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are definitely days where I wish it were easier, but yeah, I think the difficulties will make success sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miranda KenneallyMay 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

    Getting published is definitely something I want to happen sooner rather than later, but it's not something I want to rush either, cause I want my book(s) to be the best it can be. And the better it is, the reward will feel so much better -- like I've truly earned it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got my fingers crossed for all of you :) Here's hoping our dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been working on that first book for over two years, and now it looks like my second novel has the greatest potential. I want it now, but I want it to be right too.

    ReplyDelete