Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Best Part of Going to the Magic Castle

(Beside the magic, of course...) is seeing the reactions of people who've never been before.

My husband Joe performed all last week in the Close-Up Gallery, and I brought friends on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday. I'd planned to go even more, but with my commute and his late schedule (he performed 10 pm to 1:45 am) it was a little tricky. 

The Castle is a private club for magicians and there's no place like it in the world. Seeing it through the eyes of first-timers is a blast because I never know what's going to fascinate them most: the portraits whose eyes follow you? Saying the secret code to get past the entrance door?  The winding, hidden hallways and a floor plan that mysteriously never quite adds up? The Houdini Seance Room? The fact that there are five separate bars? 

Joe's week was great because not only does he have a killer new show, the rest of the magician acts were completely different in technique, style, and tone, so the variety of performances complemented each other well. I think it was one of those wonderful combinations that only comes around once in a while.


1 comment: