Friday, July 9, 2010

Thanksgiving in July

I went home* to the midwest for Fourth of July weekend and enjoyed a great many things to be thankful for. I got to meet my wonderful two-and-a-half month old niece, visit with old friends, hang out with my family, and oh yeah, watch a wild turkey wander around the curb of a busy intersection.

Known as the Lake Bluff Turkey, the oddly majestic creature has received TV news coverage and inspired a Facebook page, T-shirts and bumper stickers. As far as I can tell, it's been there since early June. 

Why is it there? How is it still alive? What does it eat? Why has no one claimed it?  Has it caused many traffic accidents, or does it add cheer to everyone's commutes? So. Many. Questions. Also I LOOOOVE the cheesy local news headlines, all "ruffled feathers" and "let's talk turkey."


* Considering I haven't lived there full-time since I was 18, is it still home?

3 comments:

  1. It's always home. Always.

    Love the turkey story - we have a great local news service that would make some terrific cheesy headlines too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might make for an interesting detail for a fictional town in your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call, Mohamed! Truth is always stranger than fiction, and often funnier :)

    ReplyDelete