Thursday, December 22, 2011

Year in Review: How did 2011 Stack Up?

It's time to look back on the year and see what I accomplished. If you're feeling compare-y and contrast-y, check out my Year-End Stats for 2009 and 2010.

In December of 2010, here's what I hoped to accomplish in 2011:

"In 2011, my goals are to research, write and revise my newest YA novel, contribute to DearTeenMe.com, give audio books a real chance, and bring actual knitting back to my knitting group. I'd like to go jogging twice a week, and read at least 50 books, partially so I can surpass that goal."

Here's how my checklist turned out:

1. Wrote and revised a new YA novel? Yes!

2. Contributed to Dear Teen Me? Yes! You can read my letter here.

3. Gave audio books a real chance? No! Not even remotely! Didn't even try! Why am I using so many exclamation points!

4. Brought actual knitting back to my knitting group: Yes! Knitted two hats.

5. Went jogging twice a week? Hahahahahaha. (Wipes tear.)

6. Read at least 50 books? No! More like 45. Which is a drop from 2010 (when I read 62) and an even worse drop from 2009 (when I read 100). However... I did read a bunch of WIPs and ARCs from friends whose books are coming out in 2012, and I gave notes on manuscripts, and I also read 450 screenplays at work. So it's not like I wasn't reading. [/defensive] 

Other Fun Stats (maybe I should've listed these first):

I sold my novel (wooooooooooo!), attended a fun writing conference in NYC (where I got to meet my agent, editor, and lots of cool writing peeps), and joined The Lucky 13s. Lastly, my husband and I have a fresh work-in-progress due early next year. (Before anyone freaks out, the imbibing photo above is old.)

How did your year stack up against your expectations?

What are your hopes for 2012?

4 comments:

  1. I think you can check the fantastic box after this year. I read about 50 books, brought a manuscript to query level, got a new titanium hip, and discovered chocolate cupcakes with red licorice filling. I'm goin' thumbs up for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leslie! Congrats on your great 2011, and here's to an even better 2012.

    Now *I* want to discover chocolate cupcakes with red licorice filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sarah, you're so fun! Congrats on the book, the babe, and the great year in general. ARCs count as books, I say.

    And just a little plug here: consider the Class of 2k13, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The work you have in progress is going to be the most exciting one thus far, I can promise you that. Congratulations on that (it? him? her?) and everything else. Will clearly have to work on my own goals for 2012...

    ReplyDelete